Social Work Examiners: FAQs

What are the requirements to become a licensed social worker in New Mexico?
  • Graduate with a bachelor’s or master’s degree in social work from an accredited college or university.
  • Pass a board-approve exam
  • Pass the Jurisprudence exam with a grade of no less than 70 percent.
  • Verification of meeting the New Mexico Cultural requirements.
  • For Independent practice you must submit 2 years and 3600 hours of supervised practice.
How long is a provisional license valid?
  • A provisional license is valid for one year from the date of issue.
May I be issued more than one provisional license?
  • No. You may only be issued one provisional license per level of licensure.
Can a provisional license be extended?
  • Only in certain extenuating circumstances, such as serious, physician-verified illness or death in the immediate family, and military service.
  • The extenuating circumstances must be presented in writing for the Board Administrator’s consideration on a case by case basis.
  • The extended provisional license will not exceed four months under any circumstances.
What are the supervision and postgraduate experience requirements that need to be met to become a licensed independent social worker?
  • Complete a minimum of 3,600 hours of post graduate social work experience and 90 hours of supervision which has been accumulated over no more than a 60-month period and cannot be completed in less than two years.
  • At least one hour of supervision must be documented for every 40 hours worked.
How do I document the supervision and postgraduate social work experience?

The supervisor must complete the supervisor verification form available on website and give to the licensee to upload on their online application. A separate form should be submitted for each supervisor if more than one supervisor.

Can I get approval from the board to take the ASWB exam before I send in my application?
  • NO. All approvals are done once the board has received a completed application.
Can I take the ASWB Clinical exam before I complete my 3600 hours of supervision?

No. The online application must be submitted and the verification of supervision must be uploaded and approved before applicant is issued a provisional license or “exam only” approval.

How do I schedule my exam?

An approval email will be sent to applicant with the contact information when the online application is approved by the board. Applicant can contact ASWB at or 888-579-3926 

Do I need to be licensed at the LMSW level prior to starting my supervision?
  • YES! You will need to have obtained and be licensed at the LMSW level prior to starting your supervision.
When does my permanent license expire?

All permanent licenses will expire on July 1. Please refer to your licenses for the expiration year, or use our license lookup.

How do I update my contact information with the licensing board?
  • All changes to address, phone number, and email address and name must be done in writing. You can send an email to or mail the request to P.O. Box 25101 Santa Fe, New Mexico 87504. Please note, if you are making changes to your name, you must also submit documentation of the legal name change.
After updating my name will I automatically get a new license?
  • NO. At the time you submit the name change request and supporting documentation you also need to submit the request for a duplicate license. The current duplicate license fee is $25.00
How can I or my employer verify my license?
  • All licenses can be verified for free online with our license lookup
I applied for a license in another state and they are requesting an official verification. How do I obtain official license verification?
  • You will need to submit a written request and a $15.00 fee to the board office. Please be sure to include your license number, state that the verification needs to be sent to and the mailing address.
I hold a Social Work license in another state and am interest in getting my license in New Mexico. What do I need to do?

The board will need to determine if the application will be processed by Expedited Licensure or Reciprocity. Status letters will be emailed to applicant for required documentation.

Does my supervisor need to be approved by the board?

Yes. Applicants who are planning to apply for the LCSW or LISW must have completed their supervision with a board-approved supervisor. If an applicant is from another state and has prior supervision hours, this would be evaluated on a case-by-case basis.

Do I need to keep my LMSW active while I have my provisional LCSW?

The board strongly recommends that you continue to renew your LMSW license until you have taken and passed the Clinical Exam.

How many CEUs do I need to renew my license?

You need a total of 30 CEUs. You will need to obtain 6 CEUs in the area of cultural competency. Out of the 30 CEUs, 20 CEUs will need to be board approved. You are allowed a total of 10 non-board-approved CEUs as long as they are still in the profession of social work.

Which CEUs are considered Board Approved?

The Board accepts all CEUs approved by NASW, ASWB, NBCC, NM Counseling and Therapy Board, and the NM Psychology Board.

How do I become a continuing education provider?

You can contact NASW, ASWB, NBCC, NM Counseling and Therapy Board, and the NM Psychology Board to apply as a CEU Provider.

Skip to content