Massage Therapy Board: FAQs

Q: How can I get a verification of licensure in New Mexico sent to another state?

Please utilize our online portal to request a verification be sent to another state:

Q: What are the minimum educational requirements to obtain a massage therapy license in New Mexico? (16.7.4 NMAC)
  • Massage Therapy Certificate
  • Minimum 650 hours of massage therapy training to include:
    1. 165 hours of Anatomy and Physiology (including Kinesiology and 40 hours of Pathology)
    2. 150 hours of Massage Therapy instruction (including Contraindications)
    3. 75 hours of General Instruction (to include 8 hours of Hydrotherapy, 20 hours of Business, 30 hours of Professional Ethics, a minimum of 4 hours of First Aid, and a minimum of 4 hours of CPR).
    Q: Do you accept massage therapy education obtained outside of New Mexico? ( A NMAC)

    Yes, from an accredited institution or college. The school should send a completed Form A along with your official transcripts.

    Q: What are the requirements for and how do I obtain a temporary massage therapy license? ( NMAC)

    Meet the board’s minimum education requirements; complete the massage therapist application; and pay temporary license and other fees. The temporary license is issued for a period of three months and cannot be extended. The applicant for temporary license must not have previously sat for any national certification examination for therapeutic massage and bodywork.

    Q: What examinations are required for licensure? ( NMAC)

    New Mexico requires a national examination, either the NCE/NCETMB, offered by the National Certification Board for Therapeutic Massage and Bodywork or the MBLEx, offered by the Federation of State Massage Therapy Boards.


    You must contact these agencies to sign up for the exam. The Federation can be reached at 1-866-962-3926 or at and the National Certification Board can be reached at 1-800-296-0664 or at


    A state Jurisprudence examination The State Jurisprudence exam will be provided to you when your application for licensure is received by the board office.

    Q: I just took and passed the National Examination will the Board accept the score report I received at the testing site as proof of taking and passing the examination?

    Yes. You may upload the exam score directly to your application under document uploads.

    Q: How long does the application process take?

    The application approval process may take up 2 weeks once all documents have been received and the application has been deemed complete.

    Q: I have a massage therapy license in another state and I am nationally certified. May I practice in New Mexico with my out-of-state license? ( NMAC)

    No. You must be licensed by the New Mexico Massage Therapy Board in order to practice massage therapy as a massage therapist in New Mexico.

    Q: How do I obtain a duplicate license and or notify the Board of my new Address? ( NMAC)

    If you have an account with NM-PLUS, login to your portal and select “My Licenses” from the top taskbar. Your license will populate in a table. Select the arrow under “action,” and “request duplicate.”


    Address changes requests can also be made by logging into your portal and selecting on your profile icon to edit your profile information, including your address.

    Q: How many continuing education hours are required for renewal? ( A & B NMAC)

    Complete a minimum of 4 hours of ethics training as part of the 16-hour requirement for each renewal period. A minimum of 8 hours of live, in-person training that can consist of massage related live webinars/zooms from approved continuing education. Refer to (L) NMAC).

    Q: When are renewals available?

    Licenses and Registrations expire every two years on October 31. Renewal notices are emailed approximately 75 days prior to the expiration date noted on the license. If you do not receive your renewal notice, contact the board office to make sure we have your correct/current email address.

    Q: Who are “Board Approved” providers for CPR, First Aid and AED certification?

    All providers are acceptable for CPR, First Aid, and AED Certification.

    Q: What happens if I fail to renew my license?

    Your license is placed on inactive status for a period not to exceed two years. At the end of two years, if the license has not been reactivated, it will automatically expire.

    Skip to content