Body Art Practitioners: FAQs

What are the requirements for a tattoo or body piercing apprenticeship?

Please see the respective apprenticeship requirements HERE.

What do I need to do if I have not received my license?

If you have not received your license within 2 weeks, please notify the board office by emailing If you do not have access to a computer, you may call 505-476-4970. Our staff will review the matter and contact you with an answer within 24 hours.

If you have not received your license in more than 1 month, you may be required to pay a duplicate license fee.

How do I change the mailing address for my license?

This can be done by email: or by submitting a written request to P.O. Box 25101, Santa Fe, New Mexico 87504. After we receive the request we will update your file.

How do I change the name or location of my establishment?

This can be done by completing the relocation or name change section on the establishment application. You must mail in the application with the $25 license fee to P.O. Box 25101, Santa Fe, New Mexico 87504. After we receive the request, we will update your file and mail out your new license.

The state I am relocating from does not require a license; what do I need to submit for licensure?

You will need to submit W-2, 1099, or other tax return forms showing that you have been legally practicing as a body artist for a minimum of 1 year.

How do I know if the training I received for permanent makeup is board-approved?

The Board of Body Art Practitioners does not accept out-of-state training. The training offered outside New Mexico does not meet the training requirements for New Mexico. Training must be done with a licensed body art sponsor. Please see training requirements for additional information.

My license has been expired for more than one year but less than five years. What do I need to do to get my license current?

Please refer to the Renewal Requirments section HERE.

Can I work in a Barbers and Cosmetologists establishment?

Yes, but you still need to apply for a Body Art Establishment license, and you must have a separate room from all other businesses, or non-business using floor-to-ceiling walls and doors. Please refer to the rules and laws for all establishment requirements.

Sanitation Questions:

How can I file a complaint about the safety and/or cleanliness of a body art business or a body artist?

You can find the official complaint form HERE.

How long are autoclaved items sterile for? Should I write the date these items were sterilized or the expiration date?

Properly packaged, sterilized and stored equipment can be stored no more than one year. Paper peel-packs must be dated with an expiration date not to exceed one year (NMAC

Can a Statim autoclave be in the work area?

No, all facilities that reprocess reusable instruments shall have an equipment cleaning room that is physically separated from the work stations (NMAC

Do I have to have a separate room for the sink and ultrasonic, and a separate room for the autoclave?

All facilities that reprocess reusable instruments shall have an equipment cleaning room that is physically separated from the work stations (NMAC

Inspection Questions:

How do I know if the person who showed up in my place of business is an actual New Mexico State Inspector?

State inspectors are trained to properly identify themselves upon entering an establishment. Always feel free to ask for credentials to verify and identify the inspector. If you are still unsure you can contact the Board Office at 505-476-4622 to verify the identity of the individual. (Please be aware NM State Inspectors may not accept any form of payment, either cash, check, or credit card. Any payment of fees must be sent to the Board Office.)

Does a body artist need to have their license posted when temporarily working in another establishment?

Yes, all licenses, except identification licenses, issued by the board shall be posted where clearly visible to the public at all times (NMAC

What information is required on the release forms? How long do I need to retain these forms?

The following information is required on release forms. Client’s name; date of birth; address; date of procedure; name of licensee who performed the procedure(s); the type of procedure performed and its location on the client’s body; the signature of the client, and if the client is a minor, written proof of parental or legal guardian presence and consent; specific ink color(s) applied, and, when available, the manufacturer, catalogue identification number or supplier invoice of each color used (NMAC

Release forms must be retained for at least three years (NMAC

Skip to content