Private Investigations: Security Guard Training Requirements and Continuing Education
Level 1 Training Curriculum
Level 1 approved instructor list
Level 2 Training Curriculum
Level 2 approved instructor list
Level 3 Training Curriculum
Level 3 approved instructor list
Private Investigations Advisory Board Instructors
All Instructors in the state of New Mexico must be registered and be licensed by October 1, 2023.
• DEADLINE: October 1, 2023
• Mail in your application which can be found on our website
• www.rld.nm.gov with all perinate documentation.
Address: Please write Instructor on envelope
Post Office Box 25101
Santa Fe, New Mexico 87504
• $200.00 check or money order made out to New Mexico Private Investigations Advisory Board
click to go to the download the instructor application
Continuing education is required for renewal of an individual license or registration.
1. Private investigators and private patrol operators must complete a minimum of two hours of continuing education credit per year from an approved source during each renewal period to maintain their license.
2. Security guards must complete a minimum of two hours of continuing education credit per year from an approved source during each renewal period to maintain their registration.
3. Polygraph licensees must complete a minimum of 10 hours of continuing education credit per year from an approved source during each renewal period to maintain their license.
Proof of participation in or presentation of continuing education must be submitted with the license or registration renewal application, or registration or license will not be renewed.
All continuing education hours must be earned during the renewal period; no carryover will be permitted.
Firearms requalification courses will not count towards mandatory continuing education credits.
Approved providers of continuing education include:
1. College-level courses
2. In-house training provided by a private patrol company licensed by the department
3. The New Mexico Law Enforcement Academy
4. Any other department-approved educational institution or program