Signed Language Interpreting Practices: FAQs

Q: Who must be licensed?

New Mexico requires all signed language interpreters to be licensed in order to protect deaf and hard of hearing consumers. Interpreting is defined as any form of facilitating communication in a visual form, regardless of the individual’s job title or position description.

Q: What are the different types of signed language interpreting licenses?

There are three types of licenses issued by the SLIPB:


• Community – interpreters who hold nationally recognized certification from the Registry of Interpreters for the Deaf (RID) or some certifications from the Board of Evaluation of Interpreters (BEI) in Texas. These interpreters may work in almost any setting (court work requires further credentialing).


• Educational – for interpreters who hold the Ed: K–12 credential from RID or who meet the requirements for the Ed: K–12. This license is valid only for K–12 interpreting, not for community or postsecondary settings.


• Provisional – for interpreters who have completed interpreter training and are working toward certification. This license may be held for up to 5years and qualifies the interpreter to work in appropriate educational and community settings.

Q: How often do I renew my license?

Community Signed Language Interpreter licenses and Educational Signed Language Interpreter licenses must be renewed every 2 years. Licenses expire at the end of the month the license was issued.

Provisional Signed Language Interpreter license must be renewed every year for up to 4 years. Licenses expire at the end of the month the license was issued.

Q: What are the Continuing Education Requirements?

Current continuing education requirements can be found HERE.

Q: How do I make a complaint?

Individuals who wish to file a complaint against an individual for interpreting without a license or for a violation of the Code of Professional Conduct may file a complaint HERE.

Skip to content