Physical Therapy: FAQs

How Much Does It Cost To Apply For Licensure With The State Of New Mexico Physical Therapy Board?
  • $250  PT application fee; $200 PTA application fee
  • $ 25  Jurisprudence exam fee
  • $ 25 Administrative approval fee for the national exam
  • $ 35 Temporary licensure fee (ONLY if requesting a temporary license)
How Long Does The Licensing Process Take?
  • Upon receiving all required licensing information, the board has up to five business days to issue a license. (NOTE: Applications containing previous disciplinary action or a history of felonies or misdemeanors are held for board review at the next scheduled board meeting, and a license will not be issued until the board approves the application. Applicable background information will be required prior to review.)
Can I Send A Transcript That Has Been Issued To Me In A Sealed Envelope?
  • No. Our administrative rules require transcripts be sent directly from the college or university to the board office.
What Is The Jurisprudence Exam And What Score Do I Need To Pass?
  • The jurisprudence exam is an open book exam, which covers questions related to regulation and licensing for practicing in New Mexico. You must review the rules and regulations prior to taking the examination. Passing score is 80% or better.
How Much Does It Cost To Take The National Examination With FSBPT (Federation Of States Boards For Physical Therapy)?
  • $350 National Exam fee which MUST be made payable to FSBPT. An applicant can register and pay for the exam online at: Additional information on testing sites will be provided to you when you receive an Authorization to Test (ATT) letter from FSBPT. For information on cancelation, retakes, etc. contact FSBPT.
How Long Does It Takes To Get Approval To Sit For The National Exam After My Application File Is Complete And When Will I Hear About My Test Results?

• Up to five business days from the time your name appears on the FSBPT website and from the time the board receives your score report.

Can I Get Extra Time To Take The National Examination If I Have A Learning Disability?
  • You will need a letter from your physician confirming the disability and make arrangements with the board office so that proper arrangements are made with FSBPT.
Can I Apply For A Temporary License While I Am Waiting To Take The National Exam?
  • Yes. Only new graduates are eligible for a temporary licensure. If you have recently graduated and are waiting for your official transcripts, a letter from the program director stating that the curriculum has been completed will be acceptable until official transcripts are received. The temporary license is valid for 180 days from the date of issuance. If a candidate fails the exam, the temporary license is immediately canceled. A temporary supervisory form MUST be completed, notarized, and received by the board with the initial application.
How Many Continuing Education Contract Hours Do I Need To Complete With Biennial Renewal?
  • You are required to submit (30) contact hours with your biennial renewal, which is February 1. Upon licensure, refer to the expiration date listed on license.
What Is The Process For Having A Verification Of My New Mexico License Sent To Another State?

License verifications will be sent to the other state within 2–5 business days of receipt and can be requested without a fee on our licensee website portal

How Do I Become A Board Member?

Joining the New Mexico Physical Therapy Board as a public member is available to anyone, with appointments made by New Mexico’s governor. To apply to be considered for nomination, a formal request can be sent to the board email:

Can I apply for a license if I am a Foreign Applicant

Yes, if you have an official report that contains the equivalency standards to practice in New Mexico from FCCPT ( or from CGFNS ( along with a copy of your visa, you can submit an application. Please note that you still will have to complete a required DPS background check to complete the application process.

Can I apply for a license if I have a degree that is in Kinesiology or Education?

Your educational study should be in an approved course for Physical Therapy as designated by CAPTE ( and must meet the eligibility requirements to take the national exam. Once you have met the eligibility requirements you can submit an application for licensure and provide the exam eligibility or score report.

Skip to content