Adult-use Cannabis Consumer FAQ

What happens if I do not follow the rules as a licensee?

Breaking the rules subjects the licensees to compliance action that could result in a fine, suspension or revocation of your cannabis license. Depending on the nature of the offense, the matter could be referred to the Attorney General’s Office.

Where do I file a complaint?

You can file a complaint with us by filling out our complaint form:  You may return the form by emailing it to

Can I bypass the state engineer with water from my local municipality or a water truck?

In some cases, yes. But it’s up to the local jurisdiction to decide whether to allow you to use municipal water to grow cannabis. If they do, a letter from the local water authority explicitly stating that the water can be used for cannabis cultivation is required as part of the application.

It’s the same for hauling water. You can have a water truck transport water to your grow site, but you must provide a letter from the water hauler stating that the water they are delivering can be used for cannabis cultivation.

What is the Office of the State Engineer?

The Office of the State Engineer (OSE) supervises the distribution of surface and groundwater in New Mexico. The CCD works with OSE to verify applicants for producer licenses have the right kind of water rights to grow cannabis.

What is DPS?

The Department of Public Safety. As part of our application process, the CCD relies on DPS to conduct criminal record checks on each controlling person associated with a cannabis establishment.

What is the time frame to process my application?

The CCD doesn’t offer time frames for how long it will take for an application to be processed. Each application is unique and some may have different requirements than others. We also sometimes rely on other state agencies to provide us with information before an application can move forward. Rest assured we are processing applications as quickly as we can. We want to get you licensed.

Where can I check the status of my application?

You can view the status of your application through Salesforce, the licensing platform you used to submit your application. Just log back in and the status of the application will be displayed there.

Who do I contact regarding licensing questions?

After you submit your application, you will receive an email notifying you which licensing specialist has been assigned to your case, along with their contact information. If you haven’t been assigned to a licensing specialist and you have a question specific to licensing or concerning your application, you can email CCD’s Licensing department at

How much adult-use cannabis can I buy at one time? Are there weekly or monthly limits on purchases of adult-use cannabis?

Eligible recreational users can buy up to the legal possession limit at one time. That’s 2 ounces of cannabis, 16 g of concentrate and 800 mg of edibles. There is no monthly or weekly limit.

Can I have cannabis with me when I’m in public? Is it OK to keep in my purse or my car?

Adults 21 and over can legally possess up to 2 ounces of cannabis, 16 g of concentrate and 800 mg of edibles. Where you want to keep it is up to you.

Any more than the above levels must be stored in a private residence out of public view.

Of course, if you do have cannabis products in your car, remember that you may not consume cannabis and operate a motor vehicle. Driving while intoxicated is a major public safety issue and police will be cracking down on violators.

Where can I smoke cannabis?

The best place to smoke cannabis is at your home or a licensed cannabis consumption area.

Can I smoke in public? What about a park?

No. You cannot smoke cannabis in public. It is prohibited by the Cannabis Regulation Act and punishable with a fine up to $50.

Parks, as public spaces, are also not places to smoke. Consumers should be even more careful on federal lands as even the possession of cannabis is illegal at the federal level and those laws are federally enforced.

Can I smoke or consume adult-use cannabis/cannabis edibles at work?

Employers set the terms for behavior at their workplaces. However, it is not recommended that recreational users consume cannabis while on the job.

Can my city or town ban adult-use cannabis facilities?

No. Local communities can place reasonable time, place and manner restrictions on cannabis businesses to reflect community needs and values. However, a local community cannot outright ban cannabis businesses.

The only exception to this is consumption areas. Local jurisdictions can opt out of allowing consumption areas. if that is the right decision for them.

Can I consume adult-use cannabis products in public if I’m not smoking? Are edibles OK for public consumption?

No. All public consumption is prohibited and punishable with a citation and a fine up to $50.

What is the difference between medical and adult use cannabis?

Medical cannabis is cannabis consumed by a patient who is experiencing an illness, such as anxiety or the side effects of chemotherapy, that is known to be helped by cannabis consumption. Patients must be seen by a medical provider who is specially authorized to prescribe patients to use medical cannabis. A patient then receives a medical card and can purchase up 15 oz of cannabis every 90 days tax free. Medical cannabis can also be sold in servings up to 50mg of THC with no limit of the number of servings sold per container. This is higher than the adult-use limits of 10 mg per serving and 100 mg per package.

Adult-use cannabis is available for sale to anyone 21 and older. Adult-use cannabis can be purchased up to 2 ounces of cannabis, 16 g of concentrate and 800 mg of edibles and is subject to state taxes. There is no monthly limit to the amount of adult-use cannabis an eligible buyer can purchase.

Other than the packaging limitations, the plants and everything derived from them are the same.

Can employers ban my use of cannabis?

Yes. Workplaces set their own rules based on the needs of their workplace. Be sure to check your employer’s rules for cannabis consumption prior to consuming cannabis.

Can I purchase cannabis as a qualifying patient and also adult use cannabis?

Yes. Once a medical patient has reached their monthly medicine limit, they can purchase adult-use products and they will pay taxes on those products.

Is cannabis available for sale in all New Mexico counties?

Not necessarily. While adult-use cannabis sales are legal from licensed retailers in every county, not every county will have a licensed retailer. We recommend a quick online search to find retailers near you.

Are there limits on the amount that can be purchased?

Yes. Adult-use cannabis consumers cannot purchase more than 2 oz of cannabis, 16 g of concentrate and 800 mg of edibles at one time. However, there is no limit to the number of purchases a consumer can make in one day. There is also no weekly or monthly limit for adult-use consumers.

Medical patients can purchase up to 15 oz every 90 days.

What is the Cannabis Control Division?

The Cannabis Control Division is the regulatory agency in state government that oversees the licensing of cannabis businesses and the enforcement of cannabis industry rules and regulations. The CCD’s mission is to support a thriving adult-use cannabis and medical cannabis program that provides high-quality products for consumers and safe workplaces for employees.

What licenses does a cannabis business need? What do I look for when I walk in a retail store? (license type)

In order to operate, a cannabis business needs three things: a license from the Cannabis Control Division; a certificate of occupancy from their local government, and a certificate of fitness from the State Fire Marshall. If you have any concerns about a business’ status, feel free to ask for these pieces of documentation.

Skip to content