Carnival Ride Insurance Program FAQS

  1. Home
  2. Carnival Ride Insurance Program
  3. Carnival Ride Insurance Program FAQS

Carnival Ride Insurance Program: FAQS

Q. What is the statute that controls the Carnival Ride Insurance Act?

New Mexico State Statute 57-25-1 through 57-25-6 control.

Q. Do I have to Register my Ride(s) with the State?
It depends on the type of ride.  Anyone operating a “carnival or amusement ride” may only operate the ride with documentation of inspection of such ride by a National Association of Amusement Ride Safety Official (NAARSO) inspector and file an application packet with the State.  
The Statute mandates, “…a “carnival ride” means any mechanical device, aquatic device or combination of devices that carries or conveys passengers on, along, around, through or over a fixed or restricted route or course or within a defined area for the purpose of giving its passengers amusement, pleasure, thrills or excitement, including bungee jumping facilities and state fair rides, but does not include playground equipment, a single-passenger, coin-operated device secured by a stationary foundation or a small promotional event or operation consisting of fewer than six kiddie rides designed for children twelve years of age or younger, including merry-go-rounds…”  
Q. Where do I find a NAARSO Certified Inspector?
You can contact the NAARSO office directly. They are located in Florida.
Call them at:  (813) 661-2779.
Q. Where or how can I find Carnival Ride Insurance?

Any insurance company that sells insurance should be able to assist you.

Q. What happens after I Register my Ride(s) with the State?


  1. From the time we receive your completed application to you receiving a certificate will be within 30 days.
  2. You will receive an 8” x 10” wall certificate, which must be displayed during all times you are operating your ride(s).
  3. Incomplete applications will delay you getting your certificate. The delay depends on when you get all the correct information for the application in to our office. Make sure all year, make, model, and serial number of every ride match all NAARSO Certified Inspector documentation and insurance company documents.
Q. How long is the Certificate valid?

Depending on the expiration of the insurance policy, and/or the NAARSO Certified Inspector site inspection, the Certification would be valid for one (1) year from the date of issue.

Q. What paperwork do I need to register my ride(s)?
  1. A completed Application. Please be sure to fill out all 3 pages of the application, including the event information page. 
  2. NAARSO Certified Inspector Inspection forms and certification that your ride is operable.
    1. A Certificate of Inspection for each ride, must be done within the last 12 months, and be signed and dated by a NAARSO Certified Inspector.
    2. Inspection must be done by a Class I, II, or III inspector. Call NAARSO Certified Inspector. To get the name and number of an inspector you may call The NAARSO Association at 813-661-2779.
    3. Attach a list of all each ride certified by the NAARSO Certified Inspector. The list must have the name of the ride, and the year, make, model, and serial number of each ride.
    4. Copy of the current NAARSO Certified Inspector’s certification card.
    5. If you have Go-Karts or Bumper Boats, each unit must be individually inspected by NAARSO Certified Inspector, and you must provide the year, make, model, and serial number of each individual Kart or Boat.
    6. ANY corrective action noted by NAARSO Certified Inspector must be noted and any deficiencies correct and reinspected by the NAARSO Certified Inspector.
  3. Insurance
    1. Proof of insurance with at least a one million dollar per occurence and at least three million dollar per aggregate policy.
    2. Insurance Certificate must have the correct name on the Certificate per the business license
    3. The holder of the Insurance Certificate must be named as Carnival Rides Insurance Act/State of New Mexico
    4. Insurance Certificate must have the year, make, model, and serial number of each ride.
    5. If operating a Go-Kart or Bumper Boat unit, then your policy must include the number assigned and printed on the outside door frame of each individual car or boat unit.
  4. Safety Log
    Attach a copy of the current daily safety log used for inspections before the public is permitted to board a ride.
  5. Fees
    Include a $50 filing fee per ride, made payable to the Carnival Ride Insurance Program.
Rides Shall Not Be Operated Until Certified By Carnival Ride Insurance Program
You may be notified if your application is incomplete or inaccurate. Any delays on your part mean delays in being able to process your application. A minimum of 30 days is necessary to process ANY application.
When you application is complete, you will be issued a certificate. If you want your certificate sooner, you must send an express prepaid envelope.
Skip to content