FAQs: For Servers

How do I get my server permit?
  • You must take and pass an approved Alcohol Server Education Course. The classes are conducted by private providers, so times, locations and prices vary. To see the course schedule and provider listing CLICK HERE.
How can I renew my Servers Permit?
  • To renew your Servers Certification, you must take another servers certification course.
I lost my server permit. How do I obtain another copy?

You may request a copy of your server permit through NM-PLUS, https://nmrldlpi.my.site.com/abc/s/request-duplicate-license.

What if I’ve taken the server class and I haven’t received my permanent card?
  • If you haven’t received your card within 120 days after taking the server class, please call our office at (505) 476-4875.
Who must attend class and obtain a server permit?
  • Anyone who serves and sells alcoholic beverages and packaged liquor.
  • This includes: owners and lease holders of alcohol licenses; owners of beer and wine licenses; bartenders, bouncers, waiters, waitresses, convenience and grocery store clerks; and resident agents.
What are the age requirements to obtain a server permit?
  • Only individuals over 21 years of age may sell or serve alcohol in bars, lounges convenience, grocery and package stores.
  • 18 to 20 year olds may obtain a permit to sell or serve alcohol in a full service restaurant with meals, but may not be a bartender.
Can an Establishment or Server accept a Temporary State issued Driver's License or ID when making an Alcohol Sale?
  • Yes, you can, as long as the old vertical ID is present with the temporary horizontal ID when the alcohol sale is completed.
What is a "valid" ID and should older people be carded?
  • Any ID card issued by a federal, state or municipal government that contains a picture of the person and a birth date showing that they are over 21 years of age.
  • Some examples are a driver’s license, non-driver ID, military ID, or a passport.
  • Effective July 1, 2021, the New Mexico state law was revised, for the purposes of the Liquor Control Act an ID is valid even if it has expired.
  • Except for deliveries of alcoholic beverages, it is unnecessary to ask for ID if the person clearly looks older than 35 years of age.
Skip to content