FAQs: For Servers
How do I get my server permit?
- You must take and pass an approved Alcohol Server Education Course. The classes are conducted by private providers, so times, locations and prices vary. To see the course schedule and provider listing CLICK HERE.
How can I renew my Servers Permit?
- To renew your Servers Certification, you must take another servers certification course.
I lost my server permit. How do I obtain another copy?
- IN PERSON: Visit our office in Santa Fe. Bring a picture ID, the $10 Fee by cashier’s check or money order ONLY, and complete the duplicate request form. ONLY the person to whom the permit is issued can pick up the duplicate.
- BY MAIL: PRINT form, CLICK HERE complete & mail in with the $10 Fee by money order or cashier’s check ONLY, and a copy of your Government Issued ID (Driver’s License, Identification Card or Passport). This takes approximately 10-15 days.
- HARD COPY, by fax or mail: Call our office at (505) 476-4875 to Request a copy of the Form. Upon receipt, complete and mail back with $10 Fee by money order or cashier’s check ONLY, and a copy of your Government Issued ID (Driver’s License, Identification Card or Passport). This takes approximately 15-20 days.
What if I’ve taken the server class and I haven’t received my permanent card?
- If you haven’t received your card within 120 days after taking the server class, please call our office at (505) 476-4875.
Who must attend class and obtain a server permit?
- Anyone who serves and sells alcoholic beverages and packaged liquor.
- This includes: owners and lease holders of alcohol licenses; owners of beer and wine licenses; bartenders, bouncers, waiters, waitresses, convenience and grocery store clerks; and resident agents.
What are the age requirements to obtain a server permit?
- Only individuals over 21 years of age may sell or serve alcohol in bars, lounges convenience, grocery and package stores.
- 18 to 20 year olds may obtain a permit to sell or serve alcohol in a full service restaurant with meals, but may not be a bartender.
Can an Establishment or Server accept a Temporary State issued Driver's License or ID when making an Alcohol Sale?
- Yes, you can, as long as the old vertical ID is present with the temporary horizontal ID when the alcohol sale is completed.