Respiratory Care Continuing Education Requirement
Respiratory Care: Requirements and Continuing Education
Renewal notices will be sent via email this year so if you have not been contacted by the Board office please provide an email to the Board email (email@example.com).
16.23.12 Continuing Education Requirements.
20 clock hours are required per renewal cycle (one clock hour is equal to 60 minutes of instruction time)
Approved Continuing Education
(A) Continuing education hours must be directly related to respiratory therapy, pulmonary function technology, or related inter-disciplinary areas of heath care and;
be sponsored or approved for respiratory care practitioners by the following:
- American Association for Respiratory Care (AARC);
- any AARC State chartered affiliate;
- other State Boards that license Respiratory Care Practitioners;
- American Lung Association and;
- American Heart Association.
(B) The Department will approve, on a clock hour basis, a maximum of eight hours per renewal cycle of the following type of education activities:
- any hospital or healthcare organization respiratory care-related continuing education in-service;
- respiratory care-related science courses taken in an academic setting and recieved toward RRT credentialing;
- CPR certification or re-certification courses;
- infection control certification and re-certification courses;
- hazardous materials certification or re-certification and;
- advanced life support
For further questions and help with CEU credits, you can call or email the New Mexico Society of Respiratory Care (NMSRC) at:
Box 35517 Station D
Albuquerque, NM 87176-5417