Board of Funeral Services: FAQs

Q: What are the educational requirements to become a licensed funeral service practitioner in New Mexico?
  • Applicants must graduate from an institution accredited by the American Board of Funeral Service Education or recognized by the United States Office of Education for Funeral Service Education.
  • Applicants must serve as a licensed funeral service intern for not less than twelve months, under the supervision of a licensed funeral service practitioner.
  • For a complete checklist and application (Click HERE) RTS add link
Q: Where can I attend a course on contagious and infectious disease training?

Most funeral establishments provide this information or you can check the board’s continuing education log provided on the website.

Q: As a funeral service intern under direct supervision, am I required to submit continuing education?

No. You are only required to submit continuing education if you are a funeral service intern under general supervision.

Q: If I have more than the required continuing education hours for my renewal period, am I allowed to carry over any of those hours to the next renewal period?

No. There shall be no reduction or prorating of continuing education hours required for the next renewal period.

Q: Can I get continuing education hours for attending a board meeting?

Yes. Attending a board meeting can go towards your continuing education hours depending on the length of the meeting, but not to exceed four (4) hours.

Skip to content