Q: WHAT IS THE NEW PROCESS FOR SUBMITTING FINGERPRINTS AND UNDERGOING A CRIMINAL HISTORY BACKGROUND CHECK?
Please see the New Mexico Department of Public Safety at https://www.aps.gemalto.com
Q: Who may qualify for a CPA license in New Mexico?
- Applicant by Examination – an individual who has taken and passed the Uniform CPA Examination as a New Mexico candidate.
- Applicant by Grade Transfer – an individual who has taken and passed the Uniform CPA Examination as a candidate of another state but who has not yet obtained a license to practice in that state.
- Applicant by Reciprocity – an individual who holds a valid CPA license in another state.
Q: How do I obtain my initial CPA license?
Q: Is there a background check requirement?
Q: If I am licensed in another state and intend to practice in New Mexico, am I required to obtain a New Mexico certificate and license?
- Your principal place of business is not in New Mexico;
- You hold a valid CPA license from another state;
- You have passed the Uniform CPA Examination; and
- You have at least one year of experience.
Q: Is a New Mexico firm permit required if I wish to practice under the mobility provision?
- The firm has an office in New Mexico
Q: Is there a residency requirement for licensure?
- A physical, verifiable New Mexico address
- A New Mexico driver’s license
- A New Mexico voter registration card
- A signed job offer in New Mexico
- A mortgage or lease agreement in your name on a residence in New Mexico
- Notarized statements from three New Mexico residents with physical addresses attesting to your residence in the state.
Q: Am I required to pass an ethics examination as a prerequisite for licensure?
Q: If I have passed the Uniform CPA Examination in another state, and applying for licensure by grade transfer, and my education was completed outside of the United States, how should I submit my transcripts to the Accountancy Board?
Q: If my experience is gained outside of the United States, what credentials must my supervisor possess?
Q: How often must I renew my CPA license?
Q: What is my continuing professional education reporting cycle?
Q: How do I report my continuing professional education credits?
All CPE credits for the preceding 36-month cycle must be reported with the renewal application. Approximately 10% of individuals renewing licenses each month will be randomly selected for a CPE audit.
Q: How do I determine which courses are acceptable for continuing professional education credit?
Q: How do I reinstate a cancelled CPA license?
Q: When will a late fee be assessed to my account?
A late fee will be accessed if a complete renewal application is not submitted by the expiration date/ or postmarked on or before the expiration.